Misled by a trader?

July 15, 2016

You may be entitled to “unwind” – cancel the contract!

What does all this mean?

If a customer feels that they have been misled to pay money or enter into a contract they may have a claim against the company that provided the misleading information.

Protection comes from the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008/Consumer Protection (Amendment) Regulations 2014.

Examples of misleading information can include-

  • Company X claims to be a member of a reputable consumer protection scheme.  You enter into a contract with Company X but later find out that they are not members of the said scheme.
  • A salesman tells you an untrue statement about a product that you go on to purchase.
  • A broadband service boasts particular speeds.  You sign up to their service only to find that the marketed speeds can never be achieved.
  • An electrician or gas fitter advises you that you have to have work carried out to comply with a change in law but you find their advice to be untrue.

How to unwind/cancel the contract?

  • End the contract;
  • Give back the goods (if goods were acquired);
  • Get a full refund of money paid.
author avatar