Do you need a license to let your property?

Did you know that you may need a landlord’s license to let your property and that there are three types?

1)     Mandatory licensing

This type of licence is required if you let a large HMO in England and Wales to 5 or more people from more than one household who share facilities like kitchens and bathrooms.

2)     Additional licensing

This type of licence may be required if your local council is concerned that HMOs aren’t being properly managed or they believe that the mandatory licensing does not go far enough.

3)     Selective licensing

If you let your own property and your property is within a designated area, your local authority may require you to apply for a license to rent unless an exemption applies.

Selective licensing came in as a result of the government’s antisocial behaviour agenda and where there was growing concern about “rogue landlords”.

Examples of areas where the selective licensing scheme operates.

The selective licensing scheme is in operation in parts of London such as Harrow, Barking & Dagenham, Bexley, Brent, Ealing, Hackney, Hammersmith and Fulham, Harrow, Newham, Redbridge, Southwark, Tower Hamlets & Waltham Forest.   

You can find out more information by visiting the London Property Licensing’s website.

Areas outside of London include for example Ashfield, Blackpool, Bristol, Coventry, Doncaster, East Staffordshire, Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield. 

You should always check whether your property is situated within a designated area.

Make a free enquiry

We are tenant eviction solicitors in Beckenham and in the City of London.

Call us on 020 8150 7171, email [email protected] or complete our Free Online Enquiry for a
, no-obligation discussion and let us explain your legal rights and

author avatar
Can pay, Won’t pay

Can pay, Won’t pay

You and your team work hard in your business, you deliver your invoice and you are paid! That is...